James Sweet

"Martik" wrote in message
news:53gGd.99402$dv1.20093@edtnps89...
Heat element burnt out near the terminal so I rerouted and crimped it back
on and bypassed the blown thermal fuse with a 1/2" length of 18 gauge

solid
copper soldered to the remains of the fuse leads. There is a bimetal

thermal
cut-out in series with the fuse. Is this adequate protection without the
fuse?

Not really, it's best to replace the fuse, though how often does one leave a
hairdryer running unnatended? Personally on my own unit I would probably
just bypass it, but I would never sell or otherwise pass the dryer on to
someone else or recommend that anyone else takes that route.