Juergen Hannappel

otforme (Charlie Self) writes:

Charlie S. asks:

Either install a door closing mechanism, so that the door will close
by itself or maybe add a magnet to the frame and a piece of iron to
the door so that it's kept closed.

Closing mechanism. as like those found on a swinging screen door ? Or, are
you referring to something else?

A pneumatic closer, I'd guess. They are easy to install, not super expensive,

I thought of someting much simpler, which works however only for doors
that open only to one side: It consits of two metal blocks, one is
screwed to the door frame and one to the door itself, and a metal rod
that sits between the two blocks. If you open the door the rod will
now push the door upwards, so the weight of the door will now try to
push it closed again. Another advantage of this is that the door may
be lifted above carpets. How is this device called?

--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe