Charlie S.

Default Keeping Door Closed

I apologize in advance if this is off topic. I did a number of searches
this is the closest I could find to what I am looking for. (Please
recommend another ng if it is. Thanks!)

This is my problem. We have a door that goes from the house into a cold,
non-heated breezeway. We have to open and shut the door whenever we go to
the cellar to do the laundary. Unfortunately, the door does not stay shut
as the gap between the door and sides are a bit too wide. I would imagine
the door is not alligned right either.

To compansate for this problem we stick a dish towel in between the door and
the sides to give it enough friction to hold. Then, when we come back
upstairs we lock the door with a bolt and don't need the towel any longer.

Over the years the people at Home Depot and others have recommended putting
a strip of insulation type stripping between the door and side. I have had
some success, but the gap is too narrow and eventually the strip comes off
because of excess friction due the narrowness of gap. This is an old door
so the gap is probably not equal everywhere.
My question, is there any other materials I could put between the door to
increase the friction besides these weather type strippings? They are
generally about 1/8-1/4 inch I presume. And, they always come undone. If I
had any woodworking ability I would work on setting the hinges right, but to
be honest I wouldn't have a clue on how to do that.
Thanks for any feedback and sorry if I offend anyone if I posted in the
wrong ng.
Charlie