Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Carl
Hoffmeyer says...

My father was driving on rte 4 in N.J. (the *infamous* rte 4) -- clear,
sunny Spring day -- run full tilt into a car stopped dead in the highway.

He put his face into the windshield and had hamburger for a mug for a
couple of years (he was driving an old VW beetle) -- without the seatbelt
he's have been killed outright.

That's how my grandmother died. They hit a bus on that same road
(rt 4, right after it had opened) and of course that was before
seatbelts. The bus had crossed over the line and they hit head-on.

And she wasn't killed outright, her spleen was ruptured. It took
her a while to die. With a seatbelt she would have survived I
suspect.

Jim

There are people I've known who I wish could have been watching from the
side of the road one day in January 1971, when I was driving a '67 Bronco
and got into a head-on collision with a Pontiac Grand Prix. I was wearing a
seat belt. I was the one who ran and yelled for an ambulance. I bled all
over hell but I was still standing.

The other guy didn't have a seatbelt. Like your grandmother, he had a
ruptured spleen. And a concussion. And a broken leg. He was bleeding from
his face and neck like a stuck pig. He barely made it. Just barely.

--
Ed Huntress