pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:50:31 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
On 13 Jan 2005 17:06:35 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

But a cell phone seems to be an instant "square root and invert" function.

In your opinion. Maybe you don't notice all the good drivers with
cellphones because, ahem, they're _good drivers_.

Id have to agree with Dave. Considering the sheer numbers of cell
phones in use on the highway that are actually in use at a single
instance, if it were "Da Evil Cellphone", there would be nothing but
miles and miles of carnage. Those that do get into an accident are the
rare exceptions, those I see driving dangerously, tailgateing and so
forth while on the phone match the same type doing the same thing
distracted by other activitites. Blond soccer moms in large SUVs or
overpainted teenie bobbers in Honda Civics being the usual offenders.

It ain't "Da Evil Cell phone" it's the "No paying attention to the
primary mission: driving. Adjusting the radio, looking for the CD/tape,
figuring out what to have for dinner, calculating how much after taxes
you'd have if you won the lottery and split it seven ways ... and
"conversing" As you point out below:

Yesterday I was shadowed by 3 young girls in such a car, all babbling
back and forth at each other, eyes off the road for long periods of
time and so forth. Weaving into my lane...the usual. To the point I
wrote a rather pithy message on the back of a service report in large
Magic Marker, beeped my horn and held it up so they could see it.

My father passed on to me the Insurance Company detail that preachers
tended to be bad risks. "Often too heavenly minded to pay attention to
earthly concerns."
--
pyotr filipivich.