Richard B. \(Bruce\) Leiby

"Walter R." wrote in message
The electric wiring consisted of 3 # 10? wires. I cut the electric wires,
put wire-nuts over the cut ends, and enclosed it all in a small metal
junction box. The junction box and the capped plumbing I surrounded with
a small wooden enclosure against the dry-wall.
It looks neat, but how many codes did I ignore? Thanks for any input.
Walter

Walter;
The box that you have junctioned the four (4) #10 wires in needs to have
a minimum cubic inch capacity of 10 for the four wires (each #10 wire needs
2.5 cubic inches times four (4) wires equals 10 cubic inches and if you
"throw in" one (1) extra for the wire nuts as the NEC requires (NEC calls
for one (1) for wire nuts and two (2) for any device installed inside the
box, which you did NOT do) then you should have a minimum of 12.5 for this
installation. Can't tell real well if that is a 3/0 or 4/0 box, but you need
check and verify the cu. in. that is stamped in the box!! I think it should
be OK!! If you ever want to splice additional wires and extend the circuit,
then THAT box will be too small, at that time!! The only "glaring"
violations I can see is that you have two (2) problems with the ground wire.
Number 1 is that you have the ground wire wrapped "counterclockwise" INSTEAD
of "clockwise" around the stud that you have used as a ground stud (as I see
it, you have an 8-32 or 10-32 stud coming in from the back of the box with a
hex nut and flat washer and the bare ground is "under" the flat washer wound
"counterclockwise"!! If you look at the top 12:00 (o'clock") position of the
box, just below the fastener that you used through the top hole of the box
to fasten the box to the wall, you'll see another hole just below it!! That
is the "threaded" ground hole that you can thread a "green ground screw"
through and wrap the ground wire around "CLOCKWISE" in order to "do it
right!!
Check the cubic inch capacity of the box, make the change to the ground
wire and stud AND install a blank cover on the box and you are set!!!!!
Bruce Leiby