Jon Weaver

Default Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall?

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message .net...
Because the cable is obviously not 100% straight, it touches both of
the walls at various points.. Could this be a source of damp?

I will be putting some insulation into the cavity, but should be doing
anything else to protect the cables?

You may well find it bridges the cavity. It is usually better to chase the
inside wall and plaster over. If you must run in there, you should use cable
clips to fix to the inner (dry) leaf. The bricks are over 50mm wide, so you
can run the cable at any height. I'd suggest near the top where you can
swing the hammer for the clips. You must derate the cable for the expected
insulation, which may require a ring main to be run in 4mm (or even 6mm in
some cases) after the calculations.

Christian.

Hi Christian,

What you have suggested is not possible in my case.. Running cables on
the inside is no good, as I am leaving the brickwork exposed and won't
be plastering it over.

I could bring the cables to the top of the internal wall, but I really
don't think that I will be able to clip it in place.. There just isn't
enough room in the cavity to swing a hammer, even from above.. Chances
are that I would end up chipping the tops of the bricks and making a
right mess.

At the moment, I have pushed the cable down into the cavity as far as
they would go. Effectivly they are lying below the DPC level.

I really hope that this is OK as I have already shreaded my arms and
don't want to do anything more.