SQLit

"Karen" wrote in message
We are leaving town for a month and want to turn off the water to the
hot-water heater. It is natural gas with a pilot light that stays lit
all the time. Can the water be turned off without turning off the gas?
My husband says this is dangerous because the gas will come on when the
water cools down and evaporate it all out and burn the bottom out of the
heater or blow up. Could this happen? Any suggestions?
Neither one of us can re-light the pilot light

First start by learning how to relight the pilot. Operating equipment other
than the designed way requires an understanding of how the appliance
operates.
You do not say if this is for a long period of time nor the temperature
concerns if any.

On the dial of the water heater that should say "pilot". Move the dial to
that setting and then see if the burner comes on. If not you should be able
to shut off the water.
Given information provided.