Roger

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

snip

You really, really, *really* should make sure you can get buildings
insurance
on this property. If you can't, even should you be foolish enough to
buy it,
you won't be able to sell it, so it will be valueless.

Its insured right now, and there may be a claim on it by the current owners.

Would the current insurer have an obligation to continue to offer
insurance on the property?

Its not for residential purposes BTW. That's why its had to walk away.
Its required for business purposes and has the requisite planning for
that type of activity, and is in a perfect location for it - with no
suitable alternatives anywhere remotely near.

I totally agree that an uninsurable property is worth only plot value
less clearance costs.

That seems a bit extreme. If the property doesn't get any worse then not
insuring might be financially beneficial. Total loss claims are very
rare and those from subsidence even rarer. I once tried to shift my
house insurance but putative new insurer wouldn't cover it for
subsidence on the grounds that it was too old and decrepit with shallow
to nonexistent foundations and, to add insult to injury, refused to
reduce the premium to take account of the lack of cover for subsidence.

snip

I am intersted in the piling type methods - that was given to me as a
potentially cheaper way in my case, but that would have consisted of
building a sort of viaduct of vertical concrete posts, with beams laid
across othe top, to form the foundations.

I cannot see how it cold be done as a remedial method.

If anyone knows, please share.

ISTR reading somewhere that piles are inserted both sides of the walls
and linked at the base of the existing foundation. However that was a
long time ago and memory fades ....

--
Roger