forrest

"Norminn" wrote

I agree with the point about shellac - it is soft, can be damaged by
alcohol and it gets white spots from water drops. It used to be used on
piano's to build the thick, glassy finish and then topped with varnish for
protection. As the post above states, there are lots of modern finishes.
Old fashioned varnish can last forever if applied and maintained
correctly, and a buffable real-wax protection is also nice. Gritty dirt is
the worst enemy. Pays to understand wood and how finishes behave. Old
fashioned varnish tends to yellow on exposure to sunlight, but that might
be the desirable color, and may not show if the stain is a darker one.
Pine also shows more yellow caste. Poly tends to sit on top of the wood
and look "plasticy", which I dislike. I personally like wood that looks
"old", has some patina.

I agree with your comments about the look of many polys. I have had good
luck with a product called OS Hardwax Oil. (available via mail through the
Environmental Home Center and probably other places). It seems to preserve
the character of our 100 year old floors, holds up well in the kitchen, and,
as a wax-based finish, can be spot repaired because new finish blends with
old. as a bonus, it is supposedly more friendly to the installer in terms of
fumes and off-gassing. so they say.

--
forrest_m
forrest underscore m at hotmail