BigWallop

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:45:56 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

Also don't forget to check and measure leakage from Neutral to Earth
this is also a cause for RCD tripping....

Will I need some 'special' gear for that .. only got a DMM?

If it only trips when I turn the thing on at the socket (ie netural
and earth would be connected all the time) would that suggest the
neutral earth leakage was ok (or below the trip current at least?)

All the best ..

T i m

And it actually trips the RCD, or just the MCB for that circuit. If it's
the whole house RCD then it's a fault from live to earth through a cable or
loose connection somewhere. Or the mains RFI filter on the appliance as
others have already said. A fault to earth through the negative conductor
will only show when the supply to the appliance is actually being used.
That's the nature of un-balanced current flow in both conductors. Earth and
negative are usually at the same, or bloody close to the same, potential
while the appliance is lying dormant. But this being a washing machine
supply, then look for water as well as burn marks on the wires inside. Mice
can also chew through the flex in the most inconceivable places.