Paweber02

Ever looked at a video headwheel, or the heads themselves, with a microscope or
very strong lens? The heads consist of chips of a very high density ferrite
with or a very few turns of very, very fine wire wrapped through a hole. The
insulation on this wire MIGHT be nylon, or it might be something MEK does
attack. I'm adverse to experiments of this kind.

p a w e b e r @ a o l . c o m

MEK actually dissolves a very limited spectrum of enamels, but does indeed
attack styrene
plastics. But all of the tape contact parts are either metal or nylon, so no
worries. You
just have to use a small amount of caution not to spill any on the cosmetic
parts of the unit
that are styrene. My favorite thing about MEK, though, is how it works on
pinch rollers, since
it very effectively removes not only the deposits, but also the oxidised
layer of rubber,
leaving pristine the good rubber underneath.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"WEBPA" wrote in message
Listen to what the other guys said: Isopropyl alcohol won't dissolve tape
residue...MEK, etc, will, but will also dissolve paint and almost any

plastic
except nylon.

All speed and phase tracking on V8 is done by analyzing video head output.

The
early Sony shop manuals have a very good description.

Hello Stephen,

that's what I anticipated Well I have cleaned
the video-head several times with Isopropyl,
but tracking problems remain. Either it's
an Hi-ESR problem now or I missed something.

How does tracking and speed-detection work
on Video8 without any control head, there
must be something to detect tape-speed,
isn't there ??

Regards,
Adrian