Leah

" wrote:
Do the high
end dog foods like Science Diet and Pro Plan have any substantial
effect on canine behavior, either negative or positive, over regular
dog foods like Pedigree and Alpo? Is it worth the extra money?

Dog foods like Science Diet and Pro Plan are only marginally better than
Pedigree and Alpo. It's all junk.

Yes, food can have an effect on behavior. Maybe somebody who has more
thoroughly researched that end of it can chime in with some examples (I've
heard that cutting down on protein can calm an overly-hyper dog, but wouldn't
swear to it).

If you're looking for a good food, you have to look for foods that (1) contain
human grade ingredients, (2) use fresh meat as the protein source, (3) aren't
mostly filler with just a smidgen of meat, (4) use whole grains.

In PetsMart, there's only one food I'd recommend - Blue. Maybe Royal Canin.
The other decent foods can be found in feed stores, grooming shops, dog
bakeries, but not in retail chains.

Though there is another poster who disagrees with me waves :, I like this:
http://chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com . It's a good food at a reasonable
price, and fairly easy to find.

---
Family Dog Trainer
"It's A Dog's Life"
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Get Healthy, Build Your Immune System, Lose Weight
http://www.re-vita.net/dfrntdrums