culprit

" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've all heard the phrase "You are what you eat".

How does this apply to the various commercial dog foods? Do the high
end dog foods like Science Diet and Pro Plan have any substantial
effect on canine behavior, either negative or positive, over regular
dog foods like Pedigree and Alpo? Is it worth the extra money? My vet
keeps telling me to switch to Science Diet, but I suspect that might
have something to do with the fact that he sells the stuff. We
currently feed Alpo dry, and my dog seems to be thriving. He is a 3
year old Collie.

1) Science Diet and Pro Plan are *not* "high end" dog foods. they're the
same old stuff in a fancy package.
2) you're right. your vet is pushing Science Diet on you because he sells
it, and because his "nutritional training" (if he got any), came from
Hill's, the maker of Science Diet.

i usually recommend these high end, pricy foods, with fancy ingredients and
all that. we're currently feeding Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato (sounds
like something you'd get in a fancy restaurant doesn't it?). but then one
of my dogs gets rashes and licks herself like crazy if she eats corn or
wheat products. the first few ingredients a
Trout, Oatmeal, Toasted Oats, Herring Meal, Oat Flour, Canola Oil, Sweet
Potato, Calcium Carbonate, Flax Seed, Lecithin, Grapeseed Oil
fancy stuff.

but honestly, if your dog is thriving, if he's healthy, happy, and
energetic... you might as well just keep feeding what you're feeding him.

-kelly
not a vet.