Default Hole center with an edge finder??

I'm locating the center of some holes .500" dia with a Starrett edge finder.
The tip of the edge finder is .200. I'm just not sure if I'm doing it the
BEST way.
Maybe I'm missing something. Basically, I lower the tip of the edge finder
just inside
the hole. I then move the X axis until It touches. I then move the Y axis
until it's
not touching. Then back to the X until it touches. I keep this up until
rocking the Y axis
no longer provides any clearance. Then I move the X in .150 and zero the
DRO.
Then I repeat this process again for the Y axis. Basically, I'm finding the
tangent of the 2 axis.

Is this the way it's normally done? This takes me a long time
(inexperienced)
The only instructions I've found on line, tell me how to locate a straight
edge.

Any PRO suggestions appreciated.

RonL