Don Foreman

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:13:17 -0000, "Airy R.Bean"
wrote:

Is there a "kink" for setting up a slitting saw to saw through
round bar stock along the axis, so that the slot is exactly
across a diameter? (I presume this to be a similar problem to
setting up accurately for cross-drilling)

This is actually a Ham Radio application; I wish to make
up some very large banana-type plugs from the 1/4" round
bar stock that I have in small quantities. For this, I will need
to saw two diameters in a cross shape, and then splay
out the leaves slightly to make a springy and rubbing contact.

You might get a better result with less trouble by using tapered plugs
rather than cross-cut pins. Get a #4 taper pin reamer to ream the
"jacks", set up your lathe to cut the mating taper on the plugs.
The nominal dia of the large end of a #4 taper pin is .250"
The taper is .250" per foot. This is about 1.19 deg included angle,
which would be a "self locking" taper providing very good contact if
you got the taper right.

You could also just buy taper pins, solder them to the ends of bits of
shaft and copper-plate them.