DMF

All,

For those interested in the denouement of my plight... Thanks
to the advice on this forum, I was able to track down the FM
antenna wire. Putting it to ground (as suggested) caused the
radio to put out a bad rasping noise. Instead I clipped the wire
off as close to the PCB as I could -- thus limiting the amount of
signal getting to the tuner/amplifier. This did not completely solve
my problem because the radio would still pick spurious music,
warbles, etc when between stations or at the extreme ends of the
dial. So what I did was to tweak some adjustable POTs and
inductors near the tuner and I was able to shift the band off scale
so that when I tuned it as far right as it could go, no stations could
be picked up at all, just a pleasant hiss to nudge me awake in the
morning ;-)

Regards,
David