Dave in Fairfax

alphageek wrote:
Hi. I want to make my first roast (beef). Is it better to bake it in
the oven, or to cook it on the stove? Do I need to add potatoes,
onions, carrots, etc? I would also appreciate any specific
recipes/tips. I want to impress my fiance's parents.
Thanks!

I make standing rib roasts all the time. Pick one up that weighs
4-6 lbs if the 4 of you have good appetites. I carve the meat
along the level of the bones , dust all the surfaces with non-salt
lemon-pepper, Nichols Garden 800-422-3985
(http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com) makes the best that I've
found
(http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/...RM8XA7PLX6C2W2)
and place the meat back onto the shelf of bones. Then sliver
elephant garlic and insert it into holes every 1 1/2" around the
top and sides of the meat. place the meat on an rack in a glass
roasting pan with a single layer of 34" think slices of new
potatoes and 1/4'd yellow onions surrounding the meat. Cook the
meat in the oven on the center rack for 12-15 minutes per lb
depending on how over cooked you want the meat. After resting for
30" the edges will be med with the rest going rare to very rare at
the center if you cookk for 12"/lb. At 15"/lb the meat will be
well on the edges and med rare at the center. Save the drippings
for the yorkshire pudding, recipe to follow.

Mix well:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
2 1/2 cups milk

If the drippings are less than 3-4T add 1/2 stick of butter - NO
margarine.

Fold into drippings - don't "mix" REPEAT....
Gently - swirl into the drippings in pan, don't over-mix.
Cook 425F 20 min

The top of the pudding will stand proud of the pan by at least 3
inches, get a picture, you won't believe it. DON'T keep looking,
this is much like a souffle, it'll fall afterwards, but you can
ruin it if you get too eager.

The Yorkshire will cook in the time it takes for the meat to rest.

Enjoy, and if you have any questions, give me a yell,
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work