MOMPEAGRAM

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. I want to make my first roast (beef). Is it better to bake it in
the oven, or to cook it on the stove? Do I need to add potatoes,
onions, carrots, etc? I would also appreciate any specific
recipes/tips. I want to impress my fiance's parents.
Thanks!

Doug Miller

Ok, these are just my opinion so if someone disagrees, please don't jump all
over me.

In my opinion, it depends on the cut of meat. A good cut can be dry roasted
in the oven. A less tender cut can be moist roasted in the oven.

Stews are done on top of the stove.

For a good cut of beef roast eg. sirloin tip, rump. Place in a shallow
roasting pan on a trivet with about 1 inch of water in the pan. Bring your
oven up to 500* and place the roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the
heat to 275 and continue cooking for approx 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on
how rare or well done you wish the roast. I use an instant thermometer and
find 45* internal produces the roast I like. You may wish it up to 65*

To moist or pot roast a less tender cut you need to use a covered pan and
more liquid. I'm not much into pot roasting so can't help further.