On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:51:57 GMT, Garry
wrote:

And of course we never had any accidents before cell phones. And the
cops are good enough they can use a cell phone,police radio and a
computer while driving 100 plus mph with out the red lights on.

Usually the fuzz in the passenger seat operates the radio etc.

I totally fail to see the big difference between current cell phones
and mobile phones in the past. Along with CB radios, Ham radios,
Business radios, passangers ect. Its just something to focus blame on.

I have, in my car, my 4WD network (VKS747) / flying doctor /
amateur radio, 144 mHz amateur radio, UHF CB radio and there is a big
difference between them and handheld mobile phones. It is the
separate microphone and fixed loudspeaker with greater volume, so
there is no need to concentrate to try to hear a tinny phone sound
against the car's background noise. I have safely driven thousands
of km, admittedly 90% listening. Both hands on the steering wheel
unless actually transmitting, and if inconvenient to talk due to road
conditions then let the other end talk. I think it contributes to
road safety by keeping the driver alert.
I also have a mobile phone, in the car, it sits in the hands free
cradle and I don't initiate calls, usually only make about 5 per month
anyway.

Garry

On 12 Jan 2005 13:53:02 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Dave Mundt says...

After all, if the cops ticketed EVERYONE
they caught using a cell phone while driving, not only would
they have a huge public outcry, ...

This is what's happening in NY state. I suspect that
pretty soon they will start running cell phone stops
just like the seatbelt stops.

That would be fine with me. As a motorbike rider I
view a minivan piloted by a cell-phone equipped
soccer mom about the same as ebola virus or something.

Jim

Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address