Default Stop Beads Before or After?

Hello All

Will be attempting plastering this weekend repairing a chimney breast
where a surround has been removed (Feeling very brave)

I have read lots of tips here but still have a question:

The fireplace at the moment is an open fire which just has exposed
brickwork inside. I want to keep this exposed as I have done in my
front room and just plaster the outside. My mate who did the other one
used a stop bead for the edges of the opening and the finish was nice
and straight. I plan to do the same thing fixing stop beads to all 3
sides. My question is should the beads go on prior to the skim coat or
before the render/rough coat? I forget what he did.
TIA

Cheers

Richard