Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Grahammazy" wrote in message

I am having a new kitchen installed, and as it is a quite expensive
project and we are already having to get some new appliances I would
like to make use my exisiting traditional (ie vented) tumble drier if
at all possible. However, due to the layout of the space it won't be
possible to position the the drier next to an external wall and
therefore connect it to a vent directly.

In fact, the drier is going under an island unit positioned about six
feet from the wall (in the middle of the room). I wondered if anyone
knew whether I could connect the vent pipe to another plastic pipe or
something under the floorboards which would then take the hot air the
six or so feet over to the external wall and pass it through a vent in
the wall, on the outside under the line of my floorboards? Would this
work effectively?

My father said I can't because the vent pipe is designed to only go up
from the appliance, not down, because hot air rises. I am a bit
confused by this as an exhaust in a car is quite low down but still
seems to work....

Can anyone advise me? My only other option is to just take the flexible
vent pipe out a window each time the appliance is used (ruining the look
of my sparkling new kitchen!) or to buy a new (un-vented) condensing
tumble drier, which I have heard are not as good and which will
obviously incur me more expense.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

--
Grahammazy

Many years ago my dad rigged up a system like you need, the vent was made to
go down under the floor and about 8 feet to be vented outside. I can't see
any probs with the hot air not making it out as it is forced out and not
like a fire/chimny situation. If there might be a problem with condensation
then why not just angle the vent downwards and the condensation will drian
out if required.

The kind of pipe he used was the rectangle section kind of pipe, I think it
was designed for the job as they made couplers that fit the flexable hose at
the drier end.

Paul