Marcel Beaudoin

Default Behavior and dog foods

" wrote in
oups.com:

Do the high
end dog foods like Science Diet and Pro Plan have any substantial
effect on canine behavior, either negative or positive, over regular
dog foods like Pedigree and Alpo? Is it worth the extra money? My vet
keeps telling me to switch to Science Diet, but I suspect that might
have something to do with the fact that he sells the stuff.

This is just from my personal observations. I am no expert of dog diets or
health or anything like that.

We normally buy Science Diet for Moogli (10 lb shih-tzu/min. schnauzer
mix). For whatever reason, when we went to buy SD the last time, there was
none left, so we bought some Beneful (he really liked it as a puppy). The
differences were remarkable. First, his poops are bigger, smellier and
softer. Second, his bowl is getting to be more of a mess. He is picky with
the 3 or 4 kinds of kibble in Beneful, and will spread out the ones that he
want, shoving his face deep into his bowl to try to get at the ones that he
wants. His energy level is about the same, but he seems to be more,
unfocussed is the closest I can get to the term. He also eats more of the
Beneful, so while it is cheaper, the bag doesn't last as long.

--
Marcel and Moogli