Glenn

True. You are not required to even have a radio to fly. But frequently
when you transmit on Unicom you are not transmitting to anyone specifically
it is just a blind hail. Since you were referring to approach control I
assumed you were talking about rules in controlled airspace. I was thinking
of FAR 135 aircraft and just sort of ignored the other "commercial" traffic.
I really can't imagine uncontrolled airspace that is so congested you have
to worry much about a "turbofan" sucking you up.
I am not a pilot and hate flying, even though I have been a RAD/NAV/COMM
tech for the FAA for 30+ years. I pay a lot more attention to keeping the
electronics in shape than staying current with the FAR's. We operate under
a different set of guidelines on the ground and for me, Unicom transmission
in the blind is required. If you choose not to listen then we could both
very well end up dead. Personally I think it is a real bad idea for the FAA
to not keep the FARs in the field offices, they are on the net but are not
required for us lowly ET's to even read. It would be really wonderful if
there was some communication medium for pilots to talk to the ET's that
maintain the equipment that brings you home but it just don't happen. I
have spent a lot of hours going to the FBO's and trying to get something
going so when a pilot sees something he has a way to report it directly to
us. Telling ATC that the Localizer is acting weird and you are having a
tough time flying the approach does about as much good as writing it on a
postit note and tossing it out the window.

All of which is totally beside the point and I apologize for the OT rant,
but the point is, comparing a pilot and his radio to a freekin "blond" with
a cellphone in traffic just is not a good comparison. (and by blond I mean
a stupid driver)

To the cellphone/driving point, perhaps they should require you to have a
cell phone conversation with some annoying telemarketerere type while you
take your driving test? Can't talk and drive? Take the bus LOL

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:14:28 -0800, "Glenn"
wrote:

Actually it is quite common and required to transmit blind.

It might be reasonably common, but it isn't required... unless IFR
rules prevail....

Uncontrolled
airports use Unicom frequencies and you announce your intentions to the
wide
open spaces incase somebody else has intentions of being where you plan to
go and you just haven't spotted each other.

Problem is... you don't know if they are listening or not.... or even
have their radio on.... or even *have* a radio...

For commercial flights you have two people driving.

You can't assume that, unless two or more crew members are required...
which in many instances they are not. If you mean Part 135 traffic,
that is different.

--

Homepage*
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/

* If you find that you are denied access to my web page, Please respond
here with
your IP address and I will see if I can open up access. I have been forced
blackhole large geographic regions outside of North America due to
incessant
spoofing and hacking attacks on my web server. Thanks.