Zipadee Doodar

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Fwom:Zipadee Doodar )

Since your 'Local authority planning officer' recommended

'doubling up'
presumably he also suggested some method of attachment. Can you say

what
method of attachment he suggested, if any?

Using PVA glue to BS 4051 with screws driven through at 6 inch

distance -
for storage purposes only remember. We are not talking a full scale

loft
conversion here.

Thats the standard method. I would not consider countersinking, you
need to use screws meaty enough for the job, not tiddlers lost in big
holes and wood like swiss cheese.

But.... whats your existing joist size? Very few houses have joists so
weak you cant use them for box storage as is. There's a fair bit of
miswhatnot about this subject.

NT

The existing joists are 2.75 x 1.25 inches, but I would prefer to err on the
side of caution - son's video collection of 'classics' (crap repeated every
2 days on cable) is extensive, and can be heavy if concentrated in small
areas.

BTW, what would you consider to be meaty screws in this sort of application?
I have abandoned any idea of countersinking - only considered it because I
have a seemingly inexhaustable supply of 4 inch x 8s. I want to start the
job before the local spiders wake up and begin clog dancing across the
loft.......