Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:37:10 +0000, Dave wrote:

A 20 amp two pole breaker is worth about 15 bucks. Although I agree in
principle that the system will run fine on the 30 amp circuit, I wonder
whether your warranty would still hold if something happened. The internal
wiring and switches on their machine will not be of adequate gauge for 30
amps of current, so if a wiring fault occurs in the saw, the risks may be
higher. Sure, Grizz should have designed the system to internally trip
with excess current. Also, the resistance and design of the motor should
automatically limit the amperage of the circuit. However, suppose that you
started a fire caused by excessive current, and your house burned down.
Would Grizz be expected to pay? In the owner's manual they say that they
want a 20 amp circuit, period. I suspect they don't say 'minimum 20 amp
circuit'. So their lawyers could argue that you made a mistake. If you
blow the motor and Grizz find out that 30 amps were running through the
wires, they might find cause to contest your claim. Changing the breaker
is a one-minute job, and you can then say that you followed the owner's
manual to the letter. You can always change the breaker back to 30 amp
later, if you wired it as a 30 amp circuit.
Cheap insurance.

Dave

Oh, Dave - A BIG Thank You!

After reading your post and realizing the risks I've been taking with all
those 60 watt lamps and 1/10th watt alarm clocks plugged into those
humongous 15 and 20 amp circuits, I've rushed breathessly around the house
and unplugged them all! Gawd only knows the risks we all take on a
regular basis by plugging under-utilizing dangerous equipment into over
rated outlets!!!

Thanks again for saving me from disaster with my insurance company!

In eternal debt to you,

- Doug