loutent

Hi Mike,

I went through this exact same problem a few years ago when
I built 12 lattice panels to form by-pass doors/frames under our
deck.

I sort of dismissed the "measurement to get it exact" technique,
thinking this to be virtually impossible with pressure-treated
stock that I used (old stock at that).

First I decided on what I wanted for lattice spacing which would
fit each space (no 2 spaces were equal). It was more what looked
right than anything else.

Next, I built the lattice assemblies (?) using an exterior
dab of glue and a brad to tack each joint. Made a jig etc....etc..

Finally, I built the frames (doors) around each panel. This is
where I made up the difference in widths of each space. The
stiles of the panels/doors vary by an inch or so (in width) - some
panels are an entire lattice space larger than others. By
doing that, I wound up with panels that "look" similar, but
are actually up to an inch or two different in width - but
you would not notice this in "looking".

Hope this makes some sense!

Lou

In article . com, Mike
Reed wrote:

I'm going to build a piece of half-lapped lattice that will go into a
frame (not diagonally) like this:

http://smithandhawken.speedera.net/w.../product/7/727
826-1.jpg

Should I bother with having the lattice spacing at the edges be equal
to the spacing in the field? It seems that a little error will
propogate and cause the edges to be narrower or wider than the spacing
in the field, based on the final dimensions of the frame.

I'll be chopping mortises for the horizontal lattice members, and
letting the vertical members run about 1/16" short, so they don't
touch.

I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed with the thought of actually
laying this whole thing out so it's symmetrical. I guess the frame
width will determine my lattice spacing. In turn, the lattice spacing
will determine the frame height so that the edges turn out uniform.
Any advice?

-Mike