Ted Clark

Default cutting keyseats

Hoping some people can give me their input on this:

I have always made keyseats in shafts by cutting the entire depth in one
pass using the correct diameter slot drill for the keyseat. For example: I
would use a 1/2" diameter slot drill for a 1/2" keyseat, touch the top of
the shaft with the slot drill, raise the table until the slot drill cut its
full diameter on the shaft and then go another 1/4" deep. This has always
worked for me in the past.

The foreman of the facility where I work said this was incorrect. He said
what I should have done was go in with a smaller cutter first, such as
7/16", and then finish with the 1/2" slot drill.

After all, slot drills are made to a minus tolerance. I believe by taking
two cuts, you run the risk of creating an oversize keyseat.

Just wanted to know what other people's thoughts were.

Thanks,

Ted