jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

I'd prefer punishing actions rather than possessions.
Drive unsafely, for whichever reason, get a ticket.

Agree strongly. However folks don't get ticketed for
*posessing* a phone. It's a particular combination of
a) driving and b) using it that defines the illegal
act.

The state legislature has decided that the correlation
between poor driving and cell phone use is large enough
to link the two, legally speaking.

I too wish that poor driving, and not for example
speed, were the triggering event for a ticket.

I have *never* seen cops around here issue tickets for
something like lane discipline. But they will write
one for fifteen miles over the limit on a stretch of
open, empty road.

To put it another way, cops don't pull folks over in
rush hour, when all the fun-n-games happen. It's
simply too dangerous for them. They wait and run the
standard speed trap or seatbelt trap during the off
hours, when they can collect their town revenue enhancements
without causing a ruckus.

Jim

please reply to: