BigWallop

"Mike Armstrong" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm fitting my new boiler this weekend.

In order for the gas supply pipework to be sufficiently sized I am
replacing the final section of 15mm with 22mm.

The 22mm pipe runs under the concrete floor, through a swept bend
vertically up the wall to about 500mm from the floor where it is
reduced by a soldered 22-15 reducing connector to 15mm pipe. it
continues from here to the boiler.

The original installer has hacked a channel in the plasterboard
dry-lining and the pipe is set into this channel with a few mm
clearance to the blockwork wall behind.

This is all going on behind by kitchen units and I have created an
access hole to get at the joint.

I would normally cut the pipe and use a 22mm connector to extend the
22mm pipework, however access is extremely difficult. There is little
or no flex in the pipe to use my pipe splitter and the fact that it is
recessed behind the plasterboard makes using a hacksaw pretty
impossible.

I am wondering whether it would be easier to apply heat to the
reducing connector to 'un-make' the joint. The question is how hard
is it to clean up the 'un-made' end in preparation for the new 22mm
straight-through connector?

Once cleaned up would another soldered joint be necessary?
Compression would be easier!

Cheers!

Mike

Gas pipework must be soldered, especially if fitted in an un-accessible
position, Mike. Compression joints on permanent gas pipes are not the way
to go unless you can get at them easily.