Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:13:17 -0000, "Airy R.Bean"
wrote:

Is there a "kink" for setting up a slitting saw to saw through
round bar stock along the axis, so that the slot is exactly
across a diameter? (I presume this to be a similar problem to
setting up accurately for cross-drilling)

This is actually a Ham Radio application; I wish to make
up some very large banana-type plugs from the 1/4" round
bar stock that I have in small quantities. For this, I will need
to saw two diameters in a cross shape, and then splay
out the leaves slightly to make a springy and rubbing contact.

I usually use a 5C collet spin index, as
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=235-6011
This makes it easy to get the two cuts 90 deg apart.

I set the height as Jim Rozen suggested. A hint there is to touch the
slitting saw as close as possible to the center, where it is supported
by the mandrel. That minimizes any flex in the saw when "touching" for
zero.

If the slot has to be located very accurately and the the saw is very
thin it can be difficult to tell the difference between just touching
and a few thousandths beyond. In this case I'll set up test indicator
stuck to the mill head on a mag base and with the probe tip touching the
saw on the opposite side of the saw from where it will contact the work.
A tiny amount of flex in a thin saw is easier to detect this way than
with a zig-zag.

If you're working this close it's a good idea to mic the saw. I've found
they're usually a bit oversize and often have burrs on the teeth when
new that will cause them to cut oversize. A few swirls on a piece of 600
grit on a surface plate will knock the burrs flat and result in a cut
closer to nominal. Note that I'm talking here about jeweler's or
slitting saws that have no set.

Ned Simmons