Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
Is there a "kink" for setting up a slitting saw to saw through
round bar stock along the axis, so that the slot is exactly
across a diameter? (I presume this to be a similar problem to
setting up accurately for cross-drilling)

The simplest way I know to locate a line on top of round stock is this:
(BTW, you don't have to switch from vertical to horizontal modes to make it
work.)

Mount the stock parallel to the mill table, and dead-level, with the
"working end" solidly in your mill vise, and enough overhang for the
slitting saw to clear the vise when you're working on the _side_ of the rod.

True up the work with your longitudinal travel, so it's _pretty_ good. A
thou. is OK, you don't need it to tenths.

With any-ol' side-cutting bit, slowly close in on the side of the work until
the bit just kisses the metal. Then make a longitudinal cut for however far
you want the slit to go.

You've now marked a line and flat that is parallel to the axis of the rod,
and perfectly centered on the horizontal diameter of the rod.

Without removing the work from the vise, you can switch to your slitting
saw, and true up the saw to the line you've just marked -- then cut.

LLoyd