Andrew Mawson

"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
Is there a "kink" for setting up a slitting saw to saw through
round bar stock along the axis, so that the slot is exactly
across a diameter? (I presume this to be a similar problem to
setting up accurately for cross-drilling)

This is actually a Ham Radio application; I wish to make
up some very large banana-type plugs from the 1/4" round
bar stock that I have in small quantities. For this, I will need
to saw two diameters in a cross shape, and then splay
out the leaves slightly to make a springy and rubbing contact.

Assuming you are using a vertical mill so that the slitting saw is
horizontal, and the work is fixtured horizontal (vee block perhaps):

a/ Measure height of top of stock with vernier height guage, subtract
half the stock thickness, and add half the slitting saw thickness -
set the height guage to the resultant figure.

b/ Adjust quill of mill so top of slitting saw just touches the height
guage and lock the quill.

You now have the slitting saw bang on centre of the work.

AWEM