jtaylor

"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
Is there a "kink" for setting up a slitting saw to saw through
round bar stock along the axis, so that the slot is exactly
across a diameter? (I presume this to be a similar problem to
setting up accurately for cross-drilling)

This is actually a Ham Radio application; I wish to make
up some very large banana-type plugs from the 1/4" round
bar stock that I have in small quantities. For this, I will need
to saw two diameters in a cross shape, and then splay
out the leaves slightly to make a springy and rubbing contact.

I put the saw mandrel in a lathe chuck and made a block with a hole and
setscrew to mount on the cross-slide. Did this to slit the threaded end of a
bolt - it has a countersunk hole lengthways through it and when a smaller
screw is thightened it locks the threads. This bolt is the mount for a
ball-turning attachment; I wanted to be able to lock the mounting bolt at
the right clearance without having it cock or move sideways, so a locknut
and a setscrew were both out.

I had to thread the hole through my block, but you don't need that. If you
wanted to get fancy you could make a shouldered sleeve with your setscrew
holding the stock, drill a hole in the shoulder, and two holes in the block
for a pin to set your 90 degree cuts.