Wild Bill

You should be able to find allen/hex drivers for 1/4" and/or 3/8" drive
handles.. ratchet, T-handle etc. The adapters with replaceable inserts can
usually withstand a sharp impact inline with the fastener, such as a rap
with a hammer.

Quality U.S. made hex inserts (bits), such as Apex or another quality tool
manufacturer, used with a 1/4" drive handle or a 3/8" impact wrench, should
provide better results than a common L-shaped wrench.

It doesn't surprise me that UPS can damage your equipment, they're really
rough on package handling. The boxes that I've received by FedEx always look
as though they've been handled carefully.

WB

"Joe" wrote in message

That's part of the problem. The plate needs to be real stiff so aliminum
won't work. As it is, UPS Ground sometimes mangles them in shipment which
always amazes me!

As for the screw... I could try to find galv. screws but aluminum surely
won't work. Black oxide seems the best answer for all intents and
purposes... We need strength and most of the time, these things are there
for the life of the machine which could be 5 years and 10 million holes...
But if and when they need to be removed, they're a real headache. Not
nearly as bad as if one came loose or broke though and destroyed belts,
custom aluminum pulleys, guards, or worker's fingers!

Really what I'm looking for is an allen key-type tool that won't degrade
under stress like a full allen key will and/or one that I can apply either

shock to (impact or something) or lots of torque to remove the flat head.

It's not a mjaor dilema, but I know how much everyone here loves to solve
problems like this so I figured I'd ask and try to learn.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com