George E. Cawthon

If a person was gonna buy a small socket set for home
use.... would it be wise to get only deep well sockets
instead of standard depth as deep well might be more
useful?

Advice?

Small sets usually come with the regular sockets. But look
around before you lay out your money. I've had a really
cheap set to augment my regular tools and they are ok for
some stuff but the sockets or wrenches will strip if used
hard. About 2 years ago, I bought a set to carry in my car
and was so impressed I bought another set for my son. They
are marked Stanley Professional with 1/4 and 3/8 wrenches
and include both SAE and metric sizes with some 6 point and
some 12 point sockets and also some deep sockets in a blow
mold case for $20.

The answer to your question is, NO. Regular sockets are
easier to work with and will do most of what you will want.
Sometime, though, you will definitely need a deep socket.
Individual sockets are very expensive so at that time I
would buy a set of deep sockets that includes the size you
need. For deep sockets, check the 6 point impact sockets at
Harbor Freight if you have one near you. A set of 1/2"
sockets through 1-1/4" will cost about $18 on sale and they
are tough. Most of the time, you will only need deep
sockets for some plumbing aspects, e.g., changing the rubber
in a valve in the wall or changing a heating element in an
electric heater. Of course you need a deep socket for
changing spark plugs but usually one of those is included in
a small set and they have those individually anyway.