Curly Sue

Default Range hood installation- stud in the way

We're working on getting a range hood installed where there is no
existing ducting. This will go through a plaster wall (ca. 1938) and
brick veneer exterior wall. The problem is a stud that positions at
the rightmost 2.5" of the opening for horizontal duct (3-1/4" x 10")
placement. Although the manufacturer says there's 1" of play for
off-center positioning, 2.5" is 1.5" too much. Going up through the
cabinet is seriously undesirable.

The tech support said that the stud can be cut if a support frame is
built and installed. My question is: how does one do that? What
kind of wood? What kind of fasteners (nails? bolts?) How many layers
of wood, vertically and horizontally (i.e., is two sistered better
than one?)? Should the frame be secured somehow to another stud for
stability?

Is there a website that gives the detailed information I need? Thanks
so much!

Sue(tm)