Matt

Perhaps you are right Turtle.... but nothing ****es me off more than to
take the time to try to help someone, at their request, and then have
them come back and insult me for it.

Even if I'm completely off base with my answer, it just irks me to have
the OP slam me for trying to help. We all know the others here will do
a nice job of gutting anyone who gives a completely wrong answer....
and I can accept that, ask for forgiveness, and move on.... but not
from the OP.

In this case, the guy had a disconnect that's overheating. His
solution? Replace a fused disconenct with a non fused one. This does
nothing to address the core problem (which I believe you and others
have very well pinpointed - his disco is undersized). No, his brilliant
solution was that GE makes crappy disconnects, he heard it from someone
who knows somebody who knows an electrician, after all.

Maybe I was off base by getting my panties in a twist. If so, I
apologize to the OP and others. And as you mentioned what I admitted,
I'm not an electrician.

But it doesn't take an expert to know that when an electrical circuit
is overheating to the point where cartridge fuses are melting,
something is wrong somewhere, and the very last possibility to consider
is that someone mfrs a crappy product. This guy even went to the
trouble of replacing his "crappy" product with the same "crap", and
surprise! Got the same results. Yeah, it's gotta be a bad disconnect.
I'll replace it with a non fused one... that will fix it!

Had he gone ahead and done that, what do you think the outcome would
have been, assuming he replaced it with the same specs as the disco.
Fire? I think it's likely, especially in an attic.

Which is all I was trying to point out in the first place.
And now I'll jump off my soapbox.....