TURTLE

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
bumtracks wrote:
in commercial disconnects of time gone past,
it wasn't odd to see 'fuse clip clamps' adding pressure to the clip the fuse
snaps into as they would get weak with age and heat up, usually just melting
the link.
clip clamps look like little springy packman jaws with a knob that tightens
them adding additional spring pressure. imagine there's still some out
there doing their job.

Yep, I remember those.

But, I'm darn cerain I've got this one diagnosed corectly, as the other ends
of the moving switch arms, the ones which mate with the contacts at the input
terminals, also oxidize and show heat discoloration. And before somebody asks
me again, the input wire terminal screws ARE tight, the wires in them are
copper, not aluminum, and there's no signs of heating up there.

Also, the output ends of the fuses have never had any problems like that, the
clips on those ends are still in their original (tin plated?) condition, with
no signs of overheating there.

I also remember cartridge fuses with replaceable links, even in smaller sizes
like 20 amps. I don't know if they are still made now that we've become used
to living in a "throw away" economy.

Being a depression era baby, I really miss frugal stuff like that.

Jeff

This is Turtle.

Yes the fuse link type fuses are still made but nobody buys them anymore. The
links cost $.80 and the replacement fuse cost $1.09. It's not really worth it.

Yes we are in the Throw away Economy Generation !

TURTLE