John Hines

Mac Cool wrote:

My wife just wanted to wax the floor but it needs a sealing topcoat.
Someone suggested oil, but oil offers nearly zero scuff resistance and no
moisture resistance.

My plan is to clean the floor very well. Use a wood filler that is
similiar to the existing color or slightly darker to fill the gaps, then
recover the floor with shellac. I chose shellac because it is easier to
work than varnish, doesn't smell much, dries very quickly, isn't finicky
about surface prep and is easy to repair.

Shellac is not at all moisture resistant, it is damaged very quickly by
any exposure to water.