AZGuy

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:43:03 GMT, "chillermfg"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in Las Vegas. We use evaporative coolers here. I want to add a
5,000 cfm for one side of my house.

My questions a

Is there a special ducting that is used for this and is different than AC
ducting? Do I need to run ducts to all the areas, or would just ducting
into the largest room do it? (The kitchen, living room, and family room are
all open to each other.)

The main difference is that Evap Ducting is usually larger because on
a hot day you need to blow a lot of air thru it. If you look at old
homes that originally had Evap you generally see ductwork and
registers that are larger then you would see on new homes that started
out with Central air. If you are adding an Evap to a house that
originally had AC you may have a hard time pushing 5000 cfm thru the
ductwork and when it comes out the register it will possibly make a
lot of "whooshing/whistling" noise. If you try to blow that thru the
round plastic flexible tubes used for some central AC you may pop the
tubes loose.

I have to make a stand for this to go in through the attic. Making a hole
in a wall is not an option.

TIA

Steve

Just make sure you treat your water system regularly. Open tanks and
Legionaires Disease are very friendly with each other

ReRe

--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789