Phisherman

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:36:09 GMT, "Hamilton Audio"
wrote:

i've got a large but skinny exterior window just to the right of my front
entrance door. The bottom sill sticks out more than the rest (design
element) and of course holds water when it rains....

so - the bottom left corner of frame (where the left panel meets the bottom
sill) has gotten soft. I've read about 2 part products that contain a wood
petrifier to solidify the wood (when the majority of the crappy rotted wood
has been removed) and then an epoxy based putty that you use to "replace"
the wood with.

has anybody had experience with this type of product? any opinions? i'm
looking to do some springtime repairs and would like this to be one of them.

Here's what I'd do. Cut out the sill portion of the window and any
soft wood. Cutting away the sill may reveal additional damage that
will need to be removed. Use an ice pick or awl to test for soft
wood. Using white oak (white oak is an excellent outdoor wood) make a
replacement sill that slopes away from the window. Seal the wood,
especially the end-grain portions. Use a waterproof glue such as
Waterproof Elmer's Carpenter's Glue to fasten wood to wood. Lots of
patience (trial and error) will give a good fit. Nail or glue into
place. Prime, caulk, and paint.

You can use epoxy auto body fillers. I find this more difficult to
shape than wood, but that's my opinion.