forrest

wrote

Also, even with the Xypex/waterproofer I'll still see lime on the
outside of the wall? I don't have to look at it, and my neighbors
could always do something to hide it, but I'm mostly just wondering so
that I don't freak out when I start to see it and think that I did
something wrong...

it's a matter of degree. the process is called effloresence, and some amount
of it is almost unavoidable in a masonry wall that is not completely
protected from the weather. what is happening is that water is migrating
through the porous cement, picking up some of the salts that are a byproduct
of the cement/mortar hardening process, and depositing them on the outside
as it evaporates off the front side of the wall. in and of itself,
efflorescence does not harm anything, nor is it necessarily the sign of a
bad installation. it can be scrubbed off, or left to fade with time. it is
very typical that a new installation will effloresce for a while and then
stop, as the salts that are not bonded are "washed" out.

the thing to remember is that efflorescence is a sign that water is moving
through a masonry wall. thus it is a great early warning sign when an old
brick wall starts efflorescing - it is telling you that there's a leak, and
usually it shows up long before other visible signs become apparent. (thus
giving you a chance to fix the problem before it does major damage.)

so, the reason xypex was recommended is that it will stop the flow of water
from the soil through the wall. no matter how dry your climate, there will
always be more water in the soil than on the outside face of a wall, so
without the xypex, there will be a flow. since the wall is outside, there is
no real reason why moisture moving through the wall is a bad thing, except
for the appearance. the xypex will greatly reduce, but not completly
eliminate, the presence of moisture in your wall.

bottom line is, yes, a certain amount of "blooming" should be expected.