John Miller

"Lobster" wrote in message
I've just ended up pulling down all the laths and plaster off my old
bathroom wall - plaster was blown and removing the tiles from the plaster
was a non-starter. Now the wall on the opposite side of the stud
partition, which faces on to the landing is also in a pretty bad state,
blown in a lot of places. With the back of the wall now exposed you can
see all the nibs of plaster extruded through the laths have broken off.

So before I put the plasterboard up in the bathroom I thought I might have
a stab at some remedial work. Ideally the landing wall wants to come down
too, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon! I thought I'd try
chucking 1:4 PVA all over the back, and then essentially applying a very
rough coat of Carlite bonding plaster to the back of the laths with a view
to it holding the blown plaster. All that will be concealed as soon as
the bathroom wall goes up.

It's got to be worth a go; has anyone tried this or got any refinements to
suggest (eg which type of plaster)?

David

I had the same problem on myu daughter's wall between bathroom and landing.
Landing side was papered and that was all that was holding it together in
places. I went the same route as you are proposing although I used Polyfilla
on some of the critical bits near the door post. If it's well propped, you
should achieve an acceptable result. My daughter was happy and that's all
that mattered to me. At some time in future (when the wallpaper comes off?)
it may need to be done properly, but it's holding OK for now. Go for it.

John Miller