Silvan

buck wrote:

saws but hope it is adequate enought for what I need. Any comments from
owners would be appreciated. Think I also will need to get a mobile base
for it too.... Any good sources??

You've got a better saw than the POS I started out on, FWIW. You've got
good advice so far about building a sled, and about ditching the total junk
blade guard/splitter. If it hasn't been suggested already, I recommend
either a combined crosscut/miter sled, or dedicated sleds for each. You
probably need both. You don't really ever want to use the supplied miter
gauge for anything where the results matter at all.

I haven't bought one, but I've got my eye on these:

http://ttrackusa.com/mjsplitter.htm

There's also some guy with a nifty little pin splitter delivered to you for
something like $8. I lost track of that. Maybe my mentioning it will
prompt someone else to refresh our collective memory.

Another thing... I haven't seen anyone mention the fence yet. I haven't
used that particular model, but I've used fences similar to that in design.
They're prone to alignment problems. Usable, yes, but you should pay
particular attention that it hasn't locked down skewed to the blade, and
that it has, in fact, locked down. They are prone to deflect at the back
under presure.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/