Tim Wescott

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:

Hi, Jeff.
The sand is not to quench the arc, but to hold the fusable material
steady through all those years of heating almost to the fusing point,
and then cooling. Without the sand support, the thin material would
rather quickly break.
Paul, KD7HB

Got it, thanks!

I understand how a fuse works, but I'm always a little suprised when I
see just how small a cross section a fuse link has. The unblown 60 amp
links in those two Kentucky fried fuses I was ranting about measure
.008" thick by .065" wide at the narrow part. That's quite small
compared to the size of the wires needed to carry a 60 amp load.

Jeff

No, that's quite small when compared to the size wire to _safely_ carry
a 60 amp load.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services