Anthony

"Joe" wrote in
:

We use some decent flat head screws on our units and I've run into a
strange problem. When we tighten them into the aluminum housings,
they hold a galvanized plate in place. After about 10 minutes of
being on there, they are almost impossible to get off.

We have turned the highest quality allen keys we can find into
pretzels and have stripped many using impact and a shorter length.
Sometimes we have success by using a chisel to "spin" the flat head
loose but that's the Neanderthal method I'd like to avoid... Even
that fails 50% of the time. We can't use heat because there is a
rubber seal in the aluminum very close.

The flat head actually grabs onto the galv. plate so well that our
customers (and us!) have to drill them out 8 out of 10 times we need
to remove them...

Anyone know of a super allen key or some other method of removing
these that might work? We know that when we use painted plates, we
have less of a problem and have considered painting the countersink of
each flat head hole, but that's crazy in the big scheme of things...

Thoughts, wisdom and random visits from friends welcome.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

Never-sieze is your friend.
One idea behind a flat head screw is to create a taper lock, which it
does effectively, thereby eliminating the need for a locking mechanism.
If these screws need to be removed for regular maintenance, you may wish
to switch to a SHCS and suitable lockwasher.
Or a button-head screw.

--
Anthony

better idiots.