carl mciver

There is a product used in aerospace, locally we call it a "lester
tool." More or less it is a tee shaped tool, with the perpendicular part
being just a metal rod for a handle. One end is a .401 rivet gun/air hammer
shank and the other end has a recess that takes a 1/4" hex bit. The idea is
that while pounding the fastener one turns the handle. Works wonders on
paint filled fasteners on external panels which really don't want to come
out for assorted reasons. You can likely make one; they're nothing fancy.
You need to have a clear path for the impact to flow through the part or
your gun will destroy it. Never used one on an air hammer, I have to admit,
but it's the best thing for this type of thing.
The "X-Out" screw removal tool from Sears (I think they sell that under
their own name) will not do the trick, you have to break up the stiction in
the joint, that tool only exists to work with stripped screwdriver recesses.
We tried them on titanium fasteners and despite the manufacturers
assurances, they just removed metal from the recess, making us drill the
screw out anyway, which is a royal pain when you panel has over a hundred
screws and the one that stripped was the last one you put in!