Stephen Hull

Default Varnishing over Paint

In message
(Bob) wrote:

[snip]

Personally I'd use an oil based varnish, But I would say that

Steve.

It's a polyurathane varnish, but even using clean, new brushes, the
finish looks dirty. The nice light creamy yellow finish of the
satinwood paint looks as if it has been covered with dirty dishwater.
The doors now look as if they were painted ten years ago!

Sounds to me like you have a poor (so called clear) varnish where the
thickness of the brushed out varnish is showing as coloured streaks.

As a clarity guide when observed in the tin, Does the varnish have a
distinct colour shade?, It really should be totally clear like water if
it is of the true clear varnish type.

Steve.

--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: