Owain

"OG" wrote
| I did find a local house that sold for £66K in November 03, and
| then sold again to £108K in August 04.
| Nice result for someone.
| though my Mr Suspicious side suggests it could have been a
| divorce / inheritance tax fiddle - hence the initially low price.

If it was a bit of a wreck when it was purchased, and the buyer did it up a
la Property Ladder, put in a loft conversion etc - or even had the place
underpinned if the foundations were dodgy - then it would not be an
unrealistic increase. There might also be a reason why the local (micro)
market was depressed in 11/03 or buoyant in 8/04 - a nearby derelict site
redeveloped, or a new employer attracting house buyers - which would
exaggerate the increase above the normal market conditions.

Owain